DTI Bukidnon declares Valencia City as “Most Supportive LGU”
“Bukidnon is a sleeping giant awakened by the energy of the entrepreneurial spirit of its people”, this was the opening statement of DTI Regional Director, Alice V. Euseña during the Bukidnon One Town, One Product (OTOP) Congress held at Loiza’s Pavilion in Casisang, Malaybalay City last September 24, 2009.
Highlighting the event was the passage of five resolutions crafted by all OTOP stakeholders in the province during the OTOP Pre-conference held prior to the congress. Said resolutions were directed to the DTI Regional Operations and Development Group (RODG) and the local chief executives (LCE) of this province, requesting them to address the following:
1. For RODG to create an “OTOP national governing body” to help ensure the sustainability of the OTOP program;
2. For RODG to source out and allocate funds in support to the OTOP Program implementation of each local government unit (LGU);
3. For RODG, together with the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) to review and amend the DBP-DTI OTOP credit facility guidelines to make it more accessible to the MSMEs;
4. For LCEs to allocate funds from the 20% Development Funds for the OTOP implementation in their respective towns; and
5. For LCEs to establish Display/Pasalubong Centers and Outlets in their locality to help showcase the products of OTOP and their MSMEs.
To recognize also the efforts poured by all stakeholders to the OTOP Program in the province DTI Bukidnon awarded the Most Outstanding OTOP MSME to Loulen’s Pinyasalubong, and Xavier University-Sustainable Action Center (XU-SAC) as the Most Supportive OTOP Partner. Each received a check worth P15,000. The City Government of Valencia on the other hand was awarded P10,000 after having named the Most Supportive LGU in Bukidnon.
RD Euseña mentioned that the government sector has an enormous role in helping OTOP MSMEs become will-driven entrepreneurs, making them grabbers of success and lovers of the land. She added that, “if the land is properly nourished, certainly it gives back blessings and bounties.” (DTI Bukidnon/Fam Villanueva)