Senator Juan Miguel “Migz” F. Zubiri dedicated the first semester of his term in the Senate to legislation as he promised upon assumption to office in July 2007. The veteran legislator never misses an opportunity to promote his advocacies by actively participating in debates in plenary sessions, as well as in public hearings and inquiries convened by various committees.
As Chairman of the Committee on Cooperatives and on Urban Planning, Housing and Resettlement, he has submitted for approval Committee Report No. 30 to Establish a Socialized and Low-Cost Housing Loan Restructuring Program. He has concluded public hearings and will soon finalize the Amendments to the Philippine Cooperative Code of 2007. In addition, he has referred the Draft Magna Carta for Homeowners’ Associations to the Ways and Means committee for further refinement.
He can be our man of the hour in this time of health and environmental emergencies. He is always ready to declare his positions on emerging issues especially those that concern the welfare of the common man. He delivered privileged speeches on Global Warming and Climate Change, the Illegal Trade in Human Organs and the Illegal Local and Global Smuggling of Corals and Other Endangered Species.
He has filed 41 bills and eight resolutions. Among the Senate Bills he has filed are on: Renewable Energy, Cheaper Medicines, Arnis, Anti-Unscrupulous Contractors, Forest Preservation and Rehabilitation, Bio-Organic Farming, Oil Spill Prevention, Toxic and Hazardous Substances Control, Disaster Preparedness and Prevention, Teaching Ecology in Elementary and Secondary Levels, Science and Technology Education, Gifted Children, Centers for Teacher’s Excellence, College Teachers Continuing Education, School Modernization and Innovation, Upgrading the Salaries of Elementary and Secondary Public School Teachers, Magna Carta for Private School Teachers, Magna Carta for Students, Provident Personal Savings Plan, Security of Tenure, Condonation of Penalties on Delinquent Social Security Contributions, Magna Carta for Workers in the Informal Sector, Medical Tourism, International Humanitarian Law, Philippines-France Friendship Day and on Remittance of Financial Benefits by Independent Power Producers, Generation Companies and Energy Resource Developers to Host Communities.
He called for a Php 3,000 Across-the-Board Increase of Pensions of All Retirees. He proposed the holding of Senate investigations on the Deregulation of Labor Recruitment Activities, the Mining Industry, National Solid Waste Management and the implementation of the Biofuels Act.
In this time of rising oil prices worldwide and the intensifying effects of global warming, he urges the government and the private sector to develop renewable energy which is inexhaustible, almost free and clean. Known as Mr. Biofuels, he is chosen by respected environmental groups to drum up greater support to renewable energy programs.
To give relief to consumers and stimulate business activities, he proposed the return of oil, fuel and electricity to their former Value-Added Tax-Exempt status.
At the House of Representatives, he was always cited as one of the most outstanding solons. He was the principal author of major laws such as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, the Rent Control Act, Wildlife Conservation Act, National Service Training Program and the Armed Forces of the Philippines Rate Pay Base Increase Act, among others.
He was named one of Outstanding Alumni of the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB). His education – in Agri-Business Management – at the UPLB molded his nationalist perspective. That he translated into a social reform agenda resulting into laws for the welfare of many sectors.
A trained first aider and certified rescue diver, he is a governor of the Philippine National Red Cross ; and, an active member of the Red Cross Youth Committee and Concerned Divers of the Philippines.
Living as a true-blue environmentalist, he founded the Philippine Deer Foundation, a deer conservation project. He is also the Executive Director of the Palawan-based Katala Foundation which protects the Philippine cockatoo and its habitat. He used to host the weekly show Team Explorer over ABS-CBN where he imparted his knowledge of the environment.
He is at the midst of consolidating the forces of the most dominant political party as Secretary-General of the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats.
Migz is a well-liked man – winning all his three terms as a congressman in landslide victories – and earning a new mandate to serve. He is a grateful man for his good fortune, and, for belonging to a loving family. He takes pride being the husband to lovely Audrey, a good son to Governor Jose Ma. R. Zubiri, Jr . of Negros Occidental and Victoria Fernandez-Zubiri of Libon, Albay and a thoughtful brother to four siblings.
Date of Birth: 13 April 1969
Parents: Jose R. Zubiri, Jr. & Victoria Fernandez-Zubiri
Civil Status: Married to Audrey Kaye Tan
Province: (Father) Bukidnon & Negros Occidental; (Mother) Albay
* Entered the University of the Philippines Los Baños in 1986 and finished in 1990 with a degree in Agri-Business Management
HELLO, PLEASE CONSIDER HELPING US MAINTAIN THIS LONG-STANDING WEBSITE BY DONATING. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT. ADVERTISERS ARE ALSO WELCOME. THANK YOU!
* District Chief of Staff of his father, former Congressman and now Governor Jose R. Zubiri, Jr.
* First elected in the 11th Congress in July of 1998 as the representative of the congressional district of Bukidnon.
* Now in his third consecutive and final term in the 13th Congress also as the representative of the congressional district of Bukidnon.
Principal Author of the Following Laws
* Comprehensive and Dangerous Drugs act of 2002 (R.A. 9165)
* Rent Control Act (R.A. 9161)
* Wildlife Conservation Act (R.A. 9147)
* Optional ROTC Act (R.A. 9163)
* AFP Rate Base Pay Act (R.A. 9166)
* Biofuels Act of 2006 (R.A. 9367)
* Solidwaste Management Act
* Athletes Compensation
* Chairman, Legislative Franchise
* Vice-Chairman, Dangerous Drugs Act
* Vice-Chairman, Natural Resources
* Vice-Chairman, Public Order and Safety
* Member of 9 other committees
Achievements in his home province
* Provided infrastructure development for the immediate needs of barangays across all municipalities under his district. Projects include the following:
o Various multipurpose buildings such as school buildings, public markets, day care centers, bus terminals, municipal buildings, etc.
o Renovation, asphalting and/ or concreting of national and secondary roads
* Provided basic needs for 187 barangays in his district
* 95% of level I, II an III water systems completed
* Increased the rate of barangays having electricity from 60% to 96%
* President, The Katala (Philippine Cockatoo) Foundation
* President, Philippine Deer Foundation
* Active Member, Concerned Divers for the Philippines
* Host, Team Explorer
* Governor, Philippine National Red Cross
* Member, Red Cross Youth Committee
TEXT TAKEN FROM SENATOR JUAN MIGUEL “MIGS” F. ZUBIRI’S WEBSITE
If you want to join Team Zubiri, contact the Senator or know more about Bukidnon’s pride and joy, please log on to www.migzzubiri.org
READ MORE NEWS:
BOOK YOUR BUKIDNON HOTEL HERE: